Sunday, November 30, 2008

Final Blog

My favorite reading of the semester was "A Streetcar Named Desire." It was a story with many twists. It followed the lives of people who were very similar, but from different social backgrounds. It was an interesting take on their lives and showed that people can act a whole lot different on the outside. To some people it is about social standard, but to others it is about being true to yourself. Not only was this one of my favorite works from 21st Century literature, but it was one of my favorite books of all time. I have recommended the story to others who are not even enrolled in the course. dsfsd
My least favorite work this semester would have to be Sula. I do not think that it should be taken off the course list, but I just could not make a connection with any particular character. In my opinion I thought the ending was not as good as it could possibly be. I think it was a poor representation of issues that went on during this time period. Almost everything that took place in this story seemed extremely exaggerated. The scene where Sula watched someone be burnt alive, and the scene where she cut the tip off of her finger were a little bit of a reach. I think we could have gotten the point with a few more subtle examples. Overall, I think every reading this semester brought something significant to my learning experience. I learned alot from each work, and became familiar with different authors takes on things. This was absolutely one of the more interesting courses I have taken thus far.

1 comment:

Rachel Sparks said...

I agree on your reflection of Sula. I think that the ending could have done some work, and I did find it hard to relate with the characters. I also thought that the storyline was everywhere. The transitions were very hard to follow.